2014年6月8日星期日

2014.6.8 Singing in the rain (inside a church) – Bach Cantata Choruses by HKOS Cantata Singers


Trapped in the sudden heavy rain, I missed the first half of the Cantata Choruses. But thanks God that I am lucky enough to catch the second part.

Sneaked into
North Point Methodist Church with a pair of wet red shoes, I tried to keep quiet not to interrupt the show, which had come to the intermission already. That means I could enjoy BWV 80, 131, 176 & 191.

After the narrow escape from the messy rain outside the church, my mind was rustling during the first two Cantatas and finally settled when BWV 131 began. 

BWV 131 " Aus der Tiefen rufe ich, Herr, zu dir" (Out of the depths I call, Lord, to You) resembles Pslam 130: 1-2. The verses are "Out of the depths have I cried unto thee, O LORD. Lord, hear my voice: let thine ears be attentive to the voice of my supplications. " (耶和華阿、我從深處向你求告。 主阿、求你聽我的聲音.願你側耳聽我懇求的聲音。 )

The introduction music was peacefully attracting. I closed my eyes, melt in it and let my imagination flowed. Miss Pianist lifted me up by her notes and brought me back to the 1700s, when the Cantata was first sung in a church of Mühlhausen.

There, I was sitting at the far end of a European church, while listening to a German choir faithfully sang. But I could not see the audience. I wonder who were listening to the piece back then, and who had such privilege to call for God's hearing by the singing. Could they be peasants, royalties, countrymen or some special fellows of the time? 

I know Psalms are ancient and Bach's BWV 131 was written about 200 years ago. Yet, it is novel for me to experience the historic perspective of my religion in this artistic manner, which is shared among so many people in the history. Although God take good care of me now, His influence and work of Church indeed has extended a lot wider and longer than I can imagine.

After a few minutes of visit to the ancient Europe, I opened my eyes and realized that a group of Chinese was singing, instead of German.

Next, it came BWV 176 "Es ist ein trotzig und verzagt Ding" (There is a contrary and despairing thing). Another Cantata that refers to the Bible, Jeremiah 17:9, which wrote “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?” (人心比萬物都詭詐、壞到極處、誰能識透呢。 )

In spite of using the original text, the Cantata lessens the sinful nature of human and translated it as "(t)here is a contrary and despairing thing about all people's hearts."

Right before the performance, the conductor introduced two special German words "trotzig" and "verzagt" of the lyrics to us, inviting audience to catch the musical form of "contrary" and "despairing".

Some forms of the words were rather mild to me. Could it be the reason that people back then was less evil-minded?

Finally, it was BWV 191, "Gloria in excelsis Deo", which is a Cantata in Latin with reference to Luke 2:14. That goes “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.” (在至高之處榮耀歸與神、在地上平安歸與他所喜悅的人。)

Unfortunately, my mind was drifting away by the raining sound surrounding the church, losing the focus to digest the closing piece.


Nevertheless, it has always been a worthy experience to spend a night to indulge myself in beautifully prepared and performed pieces by my dear friend.

沒有留言:

發佈留言